Gentle on the environment
Two things very important to us are looking after the communities we are a part of, and protecting our environment to ensure a sustainable future. If we had not done that, it’s unlikely we would be here today.
We want to showcase regions as the beautiful areas they are and ensure that tourists and locals alike are blown away by what they see and experience. By committing to various environmental practices, we’re not only making up for our carbon footprint but also preserving a ‘green’ way of life for future generations.
At Nimon and Sons, we strongly believe that giving back to the community goes without saying. We offer on-going support to education providers, clubs, sports teams and charities.
Enviro Silver Qualmark Award
Nimon and Sons have received a Silver Award in recognition of our high standard of environmental performance. Our commercial workshop follows the same guidelines.
Some of our environmental initiatives include:
- recycling all batteries, waste oil, coolant and tyres
- recycling all paper goods, plastic, scrap and glass
- providing digital options for all forms and documents
- sending mail digitally, where possible
- using rain water in Whakatu makes us self-sufficient
- using core earth heating in our Whakatu facility to lower our energy usage
- reducing fleet emissions by introducing new Volvo Euro 5 ZF EcoLife buses
- creating a rain garden to recycle excess water back into the aquifer
- providing fuel efficiency training to all drivers
- planting trees to neutralize our environmental footprint
- providing onsite resources to reduce the need for excess travel
- planting shrubs that support the bees
- Using Ad Blue in buses and coaches to reduce harmful pollutants
- Using sheep to control grass in excess depot space.
If you’d like to do more, we encourage all our customers to offset emissions connected with their trip. If you wish to take practical action in New Zealand, you can offset your trip at any time in the lead-up to departure. Just visit http://www.carbon.org.nz and make a donation.
We want this business and this planet to be around for our next generation, and the generation after that, so we believe every little helps.
Supporting our communities
We believe in supporting and giving back to the community. We provide on-going support to our local areas through sponsorship, donations and free or discounted transport. We are solid supporters of the Hawke’s Bay Magpies and Sport Hawke’s Bay. We branded two of our fleet in Hawke’s Bay colours: one in Magpies colours and one with all three of or regional mascots (Magpie, Hawk and Gannet).
Here are a few groups Nimon and Sons have proudly supported:
- Cranford Hospice
- Clive School
- Havelock North Intermediate
- Havelock North Primary School
- Hawke’s Bay Rugby Union
- Hawke’s Bay Tourism
- Hereworth School
- Iona College
- Kohupatiki Marae
- Lindisfarne College
- Maraekakaho School
- Mitre 10 Mega Walk
- Napier Intermediate School
- Sport Hawke’s Bay
- St Andrews Church
- St Johns College
- Tamatea High School
- Tamatea Intermediate
- Taupo Lakeside Clean-up
- Taupo-nui-a-Tia College
- Whakatu Community